When you feel rubbish, it sucks. I know that a lot of my friends are in the midst of exams and for some reason I’m feeling exam stress too even though I’m not sitting any at the moment! Some habits are hard to break I guess. Anyways, I thought I’d share with you some of my little tips and tricks to have a slightly better day if you’re feeling a bit rubbish.
1. Listen to a happy song Science has proven that listening to a happy song can improve your mood. Okay, I’m not 100% sure that that is true but I stand by it! Put on an upbeat song and have a dance around. I promise it will lighten your mood instantly. A few of my favorites at the moment are Uptown Funk, Friday I’m in Love and Shake It Off.
2. Get up and out of bed There’s nothing worse for making you feel rubbish than staying in bed and feeling sorry for yourself. Instead, if you’re feeling down, have a shower, get dressed and go for a walk. There’s nothing I love more than going for a walk with my dog (it’s all I want to do at the moment but I can’t atm) The fresh air is bound to make you feel lighter and happier – unless it’s raining. Then I wouldn’t necessarily go for a walk but still get up and have a bath or shower, pamper yourself and have a spa day!
3. Get creative I find that if I’m not in the greatest of moods, drawing often helps me get out of the funk. Currently my go to thing is my wreck this journal which I like to do if I’m feeling down. For some reason, creating something makes me feel better! If you aren’t an arty person, maybe try cooking – just being productive can help.
4. Have a spring clean They say a tidy house equals a tidy mind and I don’t know about you but I love it when my room looks good. If it’s tidy, I automatically feel more content and productive…weird I know. Why not put some upbeat tunes on and have a dance whilst you’re doing it! No joke, since coming out of hospital, all I’ve wanted to do is tidy my room and completely redo it. Only problem is that I can’t actually do much at the moment
5. Smile You’ve heard the phrase fake it till you make it and I sometimes find that it applies to happiness to if you’re in a bit of a funk. Even if I’m in a crap mood, putting on a smile tricks my mind into thinking I am happy and thus I start to become happy. Does this happen to anyone else? Put on a smile and laugh and the positive energy created makes you happy. Trust me on this one, it does work.
So, there are my 5 tricks to being more happy in life. Do you use any of these tricks, or do you have other ways to be happy?