I love cabonara. It’s got to be one of my favourite foods in the world! I mean, its pasta, cheese and bacon, what’s not to love? However it can be quite unhealthy so I’ve tweaked it a bit and added a slightly healthier twist on the classic Italian dish.
1 onion (chopped)
1/2 courgette (cut into small squares)
1 rasher of bacon/Pancetta (chopped)
4 salad tomatoes
Grated cheddar cheese
3 eggs (1 egg, 2 yolks)
1. Boil your spaghetti. I always start by doing this because there is nothing worse than pasta which is only half cooked!
2. In a separate bowl, add 1 egg and 2 egg yolks with some grated cheese, pepper, chilli flakes & oregano and whisk lightly. Set to the side (you’ll need it soon!)
3. In a frying pan, drizzle some oil and add the onion, courgette and bacon and keep moving till cooked
4. Once everything cooked, drain the pasta leaving a little bit on the cooking water in with the pasta. Add the onion, bacon and courgette and then the cheesy egg mix. Slowly stir it all together. The heat of the pasta cooks the egg but stops it from going like scrambled eggs
5. Plate up and then half a few tomatoes on top and some parmesan and voila you’ve got dinner!
I made this the other night and it tastes really good and it’s somewhat healthy for you. Let me know in the comments below if you like it and/or try making it and leave any tips for making good foods a little healthier